Monday, October 27, 2008

My, My That's One Heavenly Pie . . . (to be sung to the tune of Don McLean's song.)

Looking back, I see I've been advertising Susan Bauer's book for quite a while now. I was thrown into a depression by . . . [edited out due to lack of relevance anymore!] But, something snapped me out of my melancholy. It was a pie. I don't do a lot of recipe pushing, but this one deserves some attention. I ran into it in Family Fun and thought it would be nice to serve to the Quickwater Mothers at our informal reunion yesterday. Of course, I ran out of time, and my girls jumped in to save me, yet again, by making the expirimental recipe. (Delightful girls, I have.) The result was something to blog about! Three short letters (p-i-e) don't do justice to this food from the gods. I regret that I have no way to attach a taste here, but I can tell you, it's a subtle pie. And romantic. And just when you think you understand it, it surprises you with a bit of lemon zest! Enjoy! Maple Heaven Pear Pie (http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefinder/display?id=50601)
Filling
6 cups peeled 1/2-inch diced just-ripe pears (about 8 small pears)
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons chopped candied ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
9- or 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie crust or try this Flaky Piecrust
Oatmeal Crumb Topping
2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
L cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1. Heat the oven to 400°. Place the diced pears in a large bowl, sprinkle the cornstarch over them, and stir well. Add the remaining filling ingredients and toss gently, until the mixture is evenly combined. 2. Turn the filling into the chilled deep-dish pie crust and smooth the top of the fruit. Place the pie on the center oven rack, with a piece of aluminum foil under the dish to catch any drips, and bake for 45 minutes. 3. Now make the topping. Combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter, and using your hands, rub the ingredients together until you have large crumbs. Refrigerate the topping until you are ready to use it. 4. After 45 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 375°. Remove the pie from the oven and carefully pour the crumbs in the center of the pie, then spread them evenly. Return the pie to the oven and bake it until the juices bubble thickly around the edge, about 15 minutes. Transfer the pie to a rack to cool for at least 2 hours before serving. Serves 10 to 12.

4 comments:

R said...

Mmm, lemon zest! I am very curious and excited to try it out.

Jodie said...

Does this taste similar to the apple crumb cobbler your girls brought over to our house the other night? If so, I'm in! Thank you for sharing...

Martinson/Adam/Tiff said...

I am going to try it. I hope it is all you made it be!!. I will let you know!

Nicole said...

I can attest to how scrumpdiddilyumptious this pie is. I am a pie aficionado and this one is at the top of my list. Sally, anytime you feel like having me taste something, I'm at your service!